- Yield: around 400ml
- Prep Time: 5 to 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Custard is 100% my comfort food. I love it and I can not resist it. Its just that simple.. Custard and cheesecake OMG! This is not a clean eating calorie control custard, this is a I want to eat the good stuff recipe. I once worked in a french cafe and the mille feuille was to die for. Being my clumsy self always in a rush, I spilt a shot of short black over 1 ready for service. Seriously 1 of the yummiest mistakes Ive ever made! Its not so much an accident anymore. This recipe is the closest I can get to what we served.
Uses for this custard are endless. Its richness is probably considered over the top for generic vanilla slice but its what I use if Im making for myself. On the Italian side add a slurp of liqueur, dash lemon juice or zest and you have the perfect filling for cannoli and croissants. To turn this to a chocolate custard I add 70% dark chocolate Ive grated and add when its still hot. You can use whatever chocolate takes your fancy.
- Egg Yolks - 3
- Caster Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Cornflour - 3 tbsp
- Plainflour - 2tsp
- Milk - 300 mls
- Vanilla Bean - 1
- Mix together sugar, egg yolks and flours to make a paste.
- Add milk to a heavy based saucepan. Cut vanilla bean in half length ways, using the back (non sharp side) of your knife, scrap the tiny little seeds of heaven out and put them in the milk along with the vanilla bean. Heat milk till bubbles start to form around the outside of the saucepan. You dont want it too hot, simmering or boiling as in the next step you will cook the eggs too fast and have sweet scrambled eggs. Yuk
- If you have a mixmaster have your egg paste in the bowl and turn it on to a medium setting. If you dont a bowl and whisk will work fine. Remove the vanilla pod from your milk. Slowly add your heated milk to the egg and sugar paste. Please dont get excited and go too fast. Think loving happy thoughts and just let it happen... This process will take about a minute. If dont have a mixmaster, get a helper and ask them to either hold the bowl so you can mix or pour the milk so you can hold and mix.
- Once all the milk and paste are together give it a good mix to make sure it well combined, return it to the saucepan. Place the saucepan back on a med heat and slowly bring it up to temperature stirring continuouly being sure to hit every surface of the saucepan. Large bubbles will start coming through. The thickening process will seem like it taking forever but once it starts it happens very quickly so dont turn away, dont stop stirring. Cook till you have desired thickness keeping mind it will thicken more as it cools.
- Optional.. Add your chocolate now
To use this for a Vanilla slice simply sandwich between 2 sheets of puff pastry cook as per directions on packet. Be sure to prick the sheets to they dont over puff. Once they are out, white still warm use a cooling rack to press the sheets flatter if required. top with some Icing and Boom Vanilla Slice.
Mille feuille, the french version doesnt have the icing it dusted with icing suger hence the decadence. However it is occasionaly found with 3 layers of puff pastry. Bottom being pure custard, top a mixture of custard and whipped double cream. The cream cuts the richness of the custard. Serve with some fresh fruit salad, or maybe a splash of short black and drizzle of dark chocolate sauce, mouth watering…Add to Favourites