Houmous is a Levantine dip much loved thought the world, given to us by our middle eastern brothers and sisters! I say thank you! Its so quick and easy to make, and to be honest I've only had 1 store brought I liked after being introduced to the good stuff at my local Kebab shop. I will admit I am a very fussy eater once I have tried the real deal. This is best I can get to the real flavor without pulling an Afghani lady aside and saying show me! I do add cracked black pepper which is not traditional, but I like it.
I do like to mix it up by adding some jalapenos, pesto, or roasted capsicum to the middle so you can tailor the flavor and mix it up a little. Tonight we are having this as a condiment served with toasted crisp flat bread. Great enjoyed as a snack with veggie strips, cheese and fresh tomato on crackers.
- Chickpeas - 1 can
- Lemon Juice - of 1/2 a lemon
- Crushed Garlic - 1 lg clove
- Tahini - 2 tbsp
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 1 tbsp plus extra to garnish
- Salt - 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Cracked black pepper - Dash
- Rinse the chickpeas well, measure all ingredients and pop them straight into a food processor or deep bowl/jug and use a stick blender.
- Blitz till you have a smooth paste. Taste for salt and pepper.
- For storage I usually put it into 3 smaller containers, top with a drizzle of olive and/or another flavors as suggested earlier.
You can freeze this! Much to my surprise. I put it air tight containers in smaller portions so we done waste any.Add to Favourites