Sam Christmas Ham
Recipe from Nana Carmel, made to perfection by Sam. This Glaze has an excellent taste to it, certainly a favourite at our house.
- Leg Ham - 3kg
- Fresh Herbs - To decorate
- Cranberry Jelly - 140g
- Brown Sugar - 2 tbsp
- Dijon Mustard - 2 tsp
- Port - 1/4 cup
- Ground Cloves - Pinch
- Combine all ingredients in a pan; Stir over heat until mixture boils.
- Remove from heat; cool.
- Make a decorative cut through ham rind, about 8cm from shank end of lamb. Run thumb under edge of rind at other end of leg, then using finger to loosen it, pull away from fat until you reach the decorative cut at shank end; discard rind.
- Gently make shallow cuts across ham about 1.5cm apart. Don't cut all the way through the fat or it will spread during cooking, losing the pattern.
- Place ham on wire rack in a large baking dish. Wrap shank end in foil.
- Cook uncovered in a hot over (200c) for about 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to moderate (180c); brush ham with half the Glaze. Cook, uncovered for a further 30 minutes, brushing frequently with remaining glaze, or until golden brown.
- Remove foil from shank. Serve ham warm or cold; decorate with fresh herbs.