This is so family friendly! Poppa John loves a good sausage roll and I hope we dont disappoint! My son and I love making these together and as you will often see we make these in bulk. Surprise, why do things 10 times when you can do them once and have them ready on hand. These sausage rolls are a bit sneaky. They hide 4 veggies inside so you are giving your family something tasty and healthy. If you are cleaning eating leave out the tomato and barbecue sauces and replace with tomato paste. You can also remove the egg if you have an allergy the mixture will just be a little less stable. The versatile nature of the recipe makes them a winner for kids parties!
Another points to look out for when making these is if your mixture is too tacky add an extra tbsp of flour. Budget mince, which I do use these days has water added to increase weight so as they sit this will leach out. If you can make them and allow to sit over night the liquid will drain out and you just pour if off. Gross, but better then a soggy sausage roll! For those who cant have sausage mince, replace it with more beef mince. Happy cooking!!
- Beef Mince - 800 grams
- Sausage Mince - 200 grams, about 5 sausages skinned
- Brown Onion - 2 medium
- Carrots - 2 medium
- Celery Stalks - 2. tops removed
- Zucchini - 1 medium
- Puff Pastry - 6 to 7 sheets
- Tomato sauce - 1/2 cup
- Barbecue sauce - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Plain/wholemeal flour - 2 tbsps
- Egg - 2
- Sesame/poppy seeds - enough to sprinkle on top
- Get out your biggest bowl! Lets prep your Veggies. If you have a food processor makes it to much easier to get veggies fine for the fussy eaters. Peel and half onions, remove strings and tops off celery as they can be bitter, peel your carrots, and chop off the hard top of your zucchini. If you dont have a food processor grab your grater. For those with a food processor select your grater attachment, dont force the food through quickly, slower makes for a finer grate and less visible veggies.
- Skin your sausages and add both minces to the veggies being sure no liquid in the tray makes its way in the bowl.
- Add only 1 egg and all other ingredients. Give it a really good mix. Try not to use your whole hand as you dont want your palm to warm the mixture up. If you are not confident cook this without trying the finished taste cook a little pattie keeping in mind the flavore will develop. Set aside.
- Cut your puff pastry into quarter LEAVING THE PLASTIC ON!! This is very important for storing. With the plastic on you dont need to even think about them sticking together in either the fridge or freezer. Stack the quarters on top of each other to stop them drying out.
- I dont like putting things directly on the bench so grab a chopping board, set it in front on you and a plate to put our sausage rolls on once rolled. You want everything at arms reach in order lined up above your chopping board. (OCD much) Place a quartered sheet with the plastic side DOWN on the board and separate about 2 cm from plastic along 1 edge, I do the edge closest to me. Get about a 1/2 cup if mixture and make a log in the center of the pastry. Fold the side you have separated up first, then bring other side up and you should have about 1 cm over lap. The pastry should stick to itself, fold plastic over so all pastry is covered. Place sausage roll on your plate with the join side down.
- Its time to cook! Preheat your over 180 deg. Line a baking tray with baking paper (makes for easy clean up, not a necessity) and put a wire rack on top. Spray wire rack to prevent sticking and place your unwrapped sausage rolls about 3 apart to allow the pastry to puff. With your remaining in a small bowl make an egg wash by giving the egg a quick whisk with a fork. Using a pastry brush, brush the top and sides of the sausage rolls before before sprinkling with you chosen seeds. Place in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with desired condiments, enjoy.
Serve your Sausage Rolls with your sauce of choice or try some fruit or spicy chutney for something different. Make a complete meal by serving with some yummy mash potatoes and a steamed veggies. You could get 7 veggies on 1 plate, go Mum!! Or everyone’s naughty favorite CHIP AND GRAVY! For those of us clean eating sweet potato mash and veggies or a salad is still very tasty. However you eat them I hope you enjoy.
To store your Sausage rolls simply either half cook them, or leave them raw and place in a plastic container. I use a container for these as they are fragile when raw because they are soft, and fragile when half cook because of the pastry. If you half cook layer with baking paper so they dont freeze together in a block. This way you can them 1, 2 or 10 at a time. I like leave them raw and cook from scratch as to us it retains that fresh cook flavor.Add to Favourites